Sunday, February 12, 2012

Owl Pinata - Tutorial

Yup, the "pick on Jen" begins now :-).  So, my daughter just turned 8 months old, and yes, I've been planning her first birthday party for some time now.  Infact, I know what food we're having, the activities the kiddos will be doing, and the yummy desserts we will be serving!  I will blog about that in  the days to come, but today I'm going to share how cheap, easy and fun a craft like this can be!

"Owls" will be part of the theme, so I built this pinata.  And it and was sooo cheap!!!

Things you will need:

1 Balloon (12")
Strips of newspaper
Elmer's glue (2 bottles for $1.00 @ dollar store)
Strips of tissue paper--colors of your choice (I also used brown streamer paper)
Foam sheets (white, yellow & orange)
Eye Balls (from Michaels -$.99)
1 piece of cardstock or cardboard
Ribbon for bow (optional)
Tape

First, blow up your balloon until it's about 9" wide x 12" tall


Then, take your cardboard or cardstock paper, and stencil out the shape of an owl head/ears and tape it on the balloon.  I bent my cardstock paper in half, and then sketched it out - -  that way it has a back and front!


Take 2" strips of newspaper dipped in 3 part glue to 1 part water and start covering everything.  Once you have one coat on, leave it overnight to dry then put another coat on.  Make sure you leave a little hole in the back so you have access. 



Then what I did, was marker out everything on the pinata before I started putting tissue paper on.

Then here is the finished Pinata!  Make sure you crinkle up your tissue paper before gluing it on.  Perfect if you have some junk tissue paper laying around from a gift you got!


Enjoy!


 

4 comments:

  1. I love this. Thanks for sharing. I've been planning my daughters owl themed 1st birthday party since she was 3 months old, LOL. No shame in being prepared :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Your Content is great, i love the way you explained.
    The political time coming soon, here we can blast our party with Donald Trump Pinata Theme.
    Go here to check for your customized Donald Trump Pinata
    http://www.pinatas.com/collections/celebrity-pinatas/products/large-custom-donald-trump-pinata
    Thank You,
    Victoria Clark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the instructions. Now I can start to do the owl.

    ReplyDelete